Vezelay to Compostella

Philippe SEURRE PseurreaAOL.COM
Sat Dec 27 09:40:51 PST 2003

Hi everyone

My name is Philippe,  I am a 51 year Franco-Belgian national who have lived
in the UK for the past 30 years  ( currently, living just outside London )

Next year, I intend to walk the Camino for the first time ( Camino Frances) ,
starting at Vezelay ( Burgundy ) and proceeding via Le Puy and Roncevalles.

As you can imagine, this is a terribly exciting prospect for me.

I would like to reach Compostela by July 24th and therefore am planning to
leave Vezelay in the first part of May.  This should give me about 11-12 weeks
to walk these 1.000 miles at a leisurely pace ( I am moderately fit ).  I will
walk alone, although different friends may join me for parts of the journey at
different places and different times.

May I ask those of you who have completed this pilgrimage for your advise or
observations relating to logistics and safety.   Your help would be invaluable
in my planning of this trip.

1)   Accomodation:

is it easy to find pilgrims' refuges or auberges between Vezelay and Le Puy?
 And between Le Puy and Roncevalles ?    How much should I allow to spend per
night on the French part of the journey ?   Are the costs different for the
Spanish part?

2)   Equipment:

Since I would like my rucksack to weigh less than 10 kilos ( 22 pounds),
what items would you recommend I take over and above those listed below ,
bearing in mind that the climate in France in May might be variable.   (  I will
not list basic items such as underwear, passport, money, credit cards etc...) :

       a couple of quick drying short sleeve shirts
       one spare ong sleeve shirt
       a spare pair of trousers
       two pairs of heavy trekking socks and a light pair for evening wear
       a pair of trainers
       a pair of sandals
       Compede anti blister
       a writing pad plus pen
       a knife and can / bottle opener set
       a torch
       two walking sticks
       a towel
       swimming trunks
       a fleece
       a thermal long sleeve T shirt for cold nights
       a rain proof set of ultra light breathable jacket/ trousers
       a sleeping bag
       a camera
       first aid kit
       sun glasses
       an English/ Spanish pocket dictionary

I will walk during the day with my heavier ankle-high Berghaus walking boots
and will be wearing a lightweight water resistant jacket - for the first part
of the trip at least.

3)  safety:

any warning ,  particularly for the French part ?

4)  Travel:

would anyone be able to recommend the best way of getting to Vezelay from
Paris?

5)  Finally,  are there second hand bookshops on the way where you can
exchange a book for a different one, for a small price?

I very much appreciate your assistance, which I no doubt will be able to
return after my return in July

Thanks

Take care

Philippe