Was: To Tagelle via GoCamino since you blocked my mail. Now: the ranting of a sad, sad old man.

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 25 08:09:26 PST 2003

--- Jeffrey Crawley <jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK> wrote:

> Whatever our nationality we get judged our profile
> on the world stage,
> mainly through the way our politicians behave and,
> sadly we ge the
> politicians we deserve, you got Bush, we got Blair
> and poor old Spain
> (who've seen enough politics over the last 70 years
> to last a lifetime) got
> Azanar.

Hi Jeffrey, Tagelle and group,

Couldn't agree more with you, friends. But I do have
to disagree on one teeny tiny point: I don't consider
this a "Christian" site - or at least not only a
Christian site. Yes, our Camino began as a Christian
pilgrimage and to many it's still a Christian
tradition, but to call this list only Christian is to
do it a disservice, I believe.

What universality we're seeing now in the Camino's
modern rebirth! People from all corners of the earth
and of every persuasion are walking and riding the Way
- and seeking to keep it alive as we're doing.

Last New Year's I burned my Japanese luck talismans
for 2002. I'm Christian but open to many shades of
belief. They're little good-luck charms made of
cardboard and special cloth, of Buddhist inspiration,
that you can get at any shrine here in Japan. People
carry them all year in their cars, purses, etc. I had
two - one for general good luck and one for safety in
travel - tied to my backpack all that year.

I didn't know to burn them at the beginning of the
following year until I was advised to do so by a
Japanese pilgrim I met in Los Arcos during my '02
Camino.

Happy holidays,
Ana from Japan