Been there, done that

Ben Olas justforcaminoaHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 23 14:30:18 PST 2003

Hello All,

Oct. 2002 my girlfriend and I did the Camino starting in St. Jean Pier du
Port and finishing in Santiago de Compostela (4 weeks total).  I was
listening to some music today that reminded me of the camino, so I decided
to re-subscribe to the listserv.  I would be happy to answer any questions
anyone would have about the experience or our preparations.  There were a
number of very helpful people here who also have websites (can't remember
them at the moment though, although E.O. Peterson rings a bell) that I found
invaluable.  Some things that I would HIGHLY recommend above all else is
proper shoes and socks, and ESPECIALLY in Galicia some decent rain gear.  We
had some U.S. military issue rain ponchos that fit over ourselves and our
gear, but if we do it again we will have pants, jackets, and backpack
specific covers.  Waterproof/goretex shoes are a plus, and a good pair of
Gators to wear over your shoes to keep out water and mud really made a
difference (one again, especially in Galicia).

After 10 days straight hiking with few to no rest stops, my feet looked like
ground beef.  I cannot stress how important taking a break occasionally and
taking off your shoes is.  There are plently of bars/cafes along the way
where you can take a break and get a cup of vino, or just crash anywhere
along the trail.  Be social, try learning some simple Spanish.   You can get
by without knowning the language, but any little bit helps.

Getting off my soap box, one final thing.  Keeping in mind that the camino
is not about how much pain I could take was an invaluable lesson I learned
(finally!!!) in Santo Domingo de la Calzada.