American Pilgrims on the Camino/Gatherings

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 22 16:33:34 PST 2003

American Pilgrims on the Camino
Pilgrim Gatherings, an open letter

Dear once and future pilgrims,

Rosina and others have inquired about both the annual Pilgrim Gatherings and
the possibility of being represented in Santiago as a group of pilgrims from
North America.  I'd like to address this.

There have been six pilgrim gatherings so far, organized and hosted by a
sincere group of pilgrim friends across the US and Canada.   In the
beginning these were held in Williamsburg, VA, then in San Francisco, Santa
Fe, Columbia, MO.  The difference between these gatherings and other local
gatherings of pilgrims is the wide range of people coming from across the US
and Canada, and their programs, that are put together by the local hosts.
Programs range from talks on Medieval pilgrimage, Art and Architecture,
music, poetry, books, discussions of various pilgrim routes and include
celebratory dinners, walks and story times. The time frame has been a
weekend, usually in the early spring.

The 7th Gathering will take place in March in Santa Barbara, California and
will also include talks by Camino scholars, "boots & socks" information and
a hospitalero training given by a group from Spain and a pilgrim spiritual
retreat afterwards.  The program is stunning, and, as always, the high
points are the meeting of old and new pilgrim friends and listening to the
wonderful ways we have found our way to and from our beloved Camino.

Some of the same far-flung group of friends has incorporated into a 501(
c)(3),
for public benefit corporation, to assistant in the production of such
events, which are intended to educate and to celebrate the pilgrim
experience.  The founding group is a loose collection of academics, business
people who are, above all, interested in all aspects of the Camino, be they
spiritual, historical, cultural, transformational, intellectual or
recreational.  We have walked or biked the Camino and want to keep those
experiences alive.

The American Pilgrims on the Camino exists as an open entity, dedicated to
putting on such gatherings and whatever else may be called for.  We do not
have a newsletter or issue passports or a listserve, (American Friends does)
although  many of us
have written for various media and belong to many various Camino-related
listserves and organizations.  It is our interest and care for the Camino
and fellow pilgrims that is our purpose for organizing  at all.  The next
gathering in 2005 will be held in Toronto, Canada and after that in Colorado
(criss-crossing the continent and stopping in the middle!)

If you have any comments or questions about potential directions for the
American Pilgrims on the Camino, please contact either myself or Lin Galea
at lingaleaahotmail.com

Warm wishes for a Peaceful and Blessed New Year
and a Camino in the near future,

Kathy Gower, PhD