Botafumeiro changes

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Dec 22 05:14:28 PST 2003

Hello you all,
Owing to the multitudes expected at the Cathedral of Santiago next year,
those in charge of the smooth running of things have decided to make some changes
regarding the Botafumeiro.
Because of the profusion of Masses in the morning and noon (at 12:00 and 1:30
p.m.) it has been decided that the Botafumeiro, that adds twenty minutes to a
Mass, will be brought out after the 5:00 p.m. Mass since the next Mass is two
and a half hours later, at 7:30 p.m.
The Botafumeiro will also be brought out for special groups of pilgrims that
may request it.
There will still be a pilgrims' Mass at noon, but Botafumeiro-less.
Personally, I never understood the timing of the Pilgrims' Mass which put a
great deal of pressure on those pilgrims 15 or 20 kilometers from Santiago, but
the schedulers must have had their reasons.
I'll be leaving in a few hours, but will keep in e-touch.
        As you know, Christmas means "Mass of Christ".  In Spanish it is
called Feliz Navidad (Happy Nativity-of Christ), Feliz Noche Buena (Happy "Good"
Night), and Feliz Noche de Gallo (Happy Night of the Rooster, so called because
it is believed to be the only night when roosters crow at midnight, the time
of Christ's birth) and all over the world, in hundreds of languages, the
festive ocassion has countless names.
       For myself, I wish you all a very Happy and Merry Christmas, from the
bottom of my heart..
       Affectionately,
Rosina