Expecting to come home again

Robert Ward robertwardaGOSYMPATICO.CA
Sun Dec 21 20:13:14 PST 2003

Tom, This stuff about the local pilgrimages from the Austrian village is fascinating and if you publish it someday (or if you have already), I'd like to know more about it. However, there's a difference between the sort of pilgrimage you're proposing (max 90 km) and the pilgrimage to Santiago in the Middle Ages.
I think Galen is right in saying that no old-time pilgrim who was travelling to Santiago from a distance (especially one who was crossing the Pyrenees) assumed he would return home safely. There is a terrific book entitled "Aventura y Muerte en el Camino de Santiago" (1999, author Braulio Valdivielso Ausin) which spells out in gruesome detail the very real dangers awaiting the pilgrim on the way to Santiago. In the early days, these perils were predominantly natural ones: ravenous wolves, rivers to ford, snowstorms, lack of wholesome food and water. As the Camino grew more "civilized," the dangers to the traveller took on a human face: cut-throats (who often doubled as customs officers and inn-keepers), bands of underemployed mercenary soldiers, and of course the vile epidemics that pilgrims unknowingly carried with them from town to town.
One of the many cheerful conclusions reached by Ausin is that the pilgrim's hospitals (of which there were, as we know, so very many) were not primarily places where pilgrims went to be cured. They were places where they went to die.