pre-christian camino, etc.

Galen Wilkerson galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 21 16:02:09 PST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:08:20 EST, Sandra T. <SandramusicaaAOL.COM> wrote:

>Greetings, Galen!
>
>OK. This may cause a polemic, but here goes!
>
>1) Although all intents are valid, I find it curious that people
>with no faith or sense of mysticism even want to do the
>Camino. For it is the very spiritual and mystical experiences
>of the millions of pilgrims who have performed this trek over
>the centuries that have created this unique pilgrimage.
>Without the mysticism, one could complete a similar mileage walking from
>London to Land's End or New York to Seattle,
>but neither the purpose nor the results would be the
>same. The pilgrims who walked the walk left the imprint of
>their mystical yearning so strongly on the landscape, that hundreds of
years
>later, that, together with the occasional camaraderie encountered along the
>road, is what keeps
>millions of people returning to Spain, year after year, in the modern era,
>recreate the experience.

Hi Sandra,

Well, you are right :)  I disagree.  If you read my journal, or other
things I've written, you would realize that a big part of what I got out of
the camino did have to do with the people I met, as well as thinking about
the history, etc.  This would not have happened on other random trails,
since they (sadly) aren't as popular.

And I don't really get what you're getting at, since it is personal for
everyone, so it is "not applicable" to question anyone's motives for it, in
my little opinion.  :)

And, as I mentioned in something else somewhere recently, I get a feeling
of something like "magic" when I feel connected to history and nature.
I was in fact a little shocked by Rosina's statement against magic (magic
wasn't the word she used) , implying that it had nothing to do with love.
All of this is very abstract and personal, and therefore unarguable, but in
my sense of the word, it has very much to do with all kinds of feelings.

With all due respect, I think you overlooked all of these things before you
wrote me.

>2) Shirley MacClaine, like all authors, and as is her right,
>shares her experiences, mystical or otherwise, with those
>who care to read about them. If one is uncomfortable with mysticism, one
>simply has the choice not to buy or read
>her books.

Right, and I said I didn't.  I think you missed my point with that.  I'm
guessing that she says things that most people do not relate to very well,
and doesn't bother to try to get the reader on her side and understand what
she's saying.  Great if that works for you!  No problem!

>I, too, love and have studied Archaeology and Anthroplogy,
>but under the life experience lies a deeper meaning, which informs and
>supercedes any and all "ologies" and it is that meaning that people have
always
>sought on the Camino.

Ok.  I'm not sure why you wrote any of this to me.  I think you have some
things to say, but I don't feel like you are actually reacting to or
understanding what I said.  I think you don't have to disagree with me or
react to me in order to have an audience.  That's great that you have that
point of view!  Rock on!  My experience and opinion is different, and I
have no problem with you having yours.

>Any experience may be experienced in any way one wishes,
>but without the mysticism, the Camino can too easily become just another
>socializing, carousing, foray in Spain, of
>which there are far too many already.

Uh, I was not sitting naked on a beach or some such.  I walked 1000 km and
spoke multiple languages for 6 weeks.  If you're implying that _I_ was just
carousing, etc. you are wrong and a bit insulting.

>End of opinion.

Goody for you.  I'm sorry, no good will left.