Holy Door opening

Trudy Moore zafma10aBIGPOND.COM
Sat Dec 20 19:52:33 PST 2003

Hi Rosina, thanks for keeping us all informed about events in Santiago.  Do you know what time the Holy Door will be 'opened'?  Would love to be there but as I'm on the other side of the world am wondering if it's possible to watch this on the Santiago WebCams.

Regards ... Trudy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rosina Lila
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, 21 December 2003 2:11
  Subject: Holy Door opening

  Hello you all,
         The Correo de Galicia (one of Santiago's dailies) reports today that the Portuguese Way Association of Friends of Santiago has organized a 50 pilgrims walk that will end in Santiago on December 31, and will have the honor of participating directly in the Holy Door opening ceremonies.
         Why don't we, Association of Friends of the Caiman in the USA, together with our Canadian brothers and sisters organize a similar effort?  For those of us who live in New York, or New England, or the Eastern seaboard, I suppose. It is easier, less expensive and far more comfortable to go to Europe than to go to California; yet it seems that the Association of Friends has met repeatedly in Santa Barbara.
  Couldn't we try to go to Santiago as a group?

         Speaking of going, I myself will leave next Monday, the 22nd. to spend Christmas in Assisi.  Not only was Saint Francis the first to organize a Christmas celebration as we now observe the date, but over the last few years I've become rather obsessed with finding some convincing indicia that Saint Francis indeed made the pilgrimage to Santiago.  -The more I look into it, the more likely it seems.
         Some good friends secured passage for me, and lodgings for four days over New Years in Santiago, right by the Cathedral, for the opening of the Holy Door and all.  Afterwards I will return to Italy to spend January roaming about the peninsula which is, blessedly free of crowds then.  It is also very cold..... I've never known low temperatures as punishing as those of Milan  in January.  But then, when else can you spend hours, literally, almost alone beholding Leonardo's Last Supper?
         Of late almost every  Italian hotel has computer facilities (On some of them you can access, and address, e-mail through the television in the room); because of such convenience (and professional necessities) I'll be e-checking in frequently.
         If there's anything in particular that I can look into for anyone of you, please let me know.
  .......Ah!.... the Santiago's newspapers  report that at least 3,000 (three thousand!) celebratory Holy Year acts have been scheduled by the Xunta and the Archbishopric in the Casco alone, and that the opening (tearing down?) of the Holy Door will be accompanied by a mammoth fireworks production in the Quintana Plaza such as the one held in Obraidoro on July 25th.
         Also, for the first time in decades and decades, the King and Queen will attend, as well as the Prince heir to the throne and his television anchorwoman fiancee.
  It looks like it's going to be a heck of a party............ But after being a regular in Seville during Holy Week, with the King, Queen, Prince and princesses often in attendance, and the largest, liveliest crowds of Seviilians imaginable,  the beginning of the New Holy Xacobean year in Santiago does not appear daunting.
  Warm regards from cold New York City,
  Rosina