Suffering = Knowledge?

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 13 08:30:37 PST 2003

Hi Richard

you said
>However, I don't think that it is wise or beneficial to pursue suffering
>for it's own sake.

I forget the theology of it,and the full etymology too, but I understand
that when Christ was dying on the cross, he used the word which doesn't just
mean our modern "suffer", it means also "to allow", as in "suffer the little
children to come unto me"...

This makes sense of it for me.  That way, suffering means not resisting in a
harmful way, not denying, not pretending it  (pain etc) doesn't exist.  The
Buddhists are good at explaining this point.  I think it's about having
compassion for one's self, one's body, for whatever you think is causing the
trouble... It is learning to kind of go round the boulder, or sort of
embrace it, or to try to sing along with it, then it doesn't take hold.  It
is still there, it is still a fact, but there's something else too - one's
own quiet dignity and humanity, or God for those who prefer to name the
spirit which carries us through.  It brings grace to the moment.  Whereas
outright or sought suffering brings little grace or truth, in the end.

Certainly it isn't good to go out looking for it.  though there were and are
those who believe in the virtue of this.

Sally