Tips - Camino Presentation / writing about one's experiences

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 5 01:44:58 PST 2003

Dear Sue

Thanks so much for your tips, and for illustrating that using words to
recreate something about one's Camino experience does not necessarily mean a
BOOK.  Of course, as others have commented, writing a book is a laborious
task and often for little or no money/result.

In any case I would suggest for those who are new to writing, starting out
with SHORT pieces which could be offered to magazines or newspapers, or
which could be read in certain venues, would be a very valuable start into
writing.  Snippets from one's Camino, one day or one scene or one
encounter... that is enough often.  A short successful piece would give
courage for something longer.

There is no single answer here, to the question of whether it is helpful or
profitable or 'good to do' to write one's experiences.  Or to speak of them.

But isn't difficult to write or to learn to write. It may take a lot of
practice and perseverance, but it isn't difficult.

Perhaps what counts the most is one's personal inspiration -  like Sue said
that people saw it in her eyes.  If the inspiration is strong in your heart
and you have the time to write or present and it is what you love to do,
then it will be great for anyone to try.  Also, I think that if you go to 'a
place apart' and come back, there will always be people who will want to
hear about it... not everyone, but some.

There are a lot of people in our pained and beautiful world who want to know
very much what it is like to go to 'a place apart'.  In such a place, as I
can see Sue has been in her heart, the inspiration of the heart can be
regained.  THIS is what people see when they look in such a person's eyes.
This is what they want to know about, because they want it for themselves.

And I think that like joining an on-line forum which acts as a virtual
albergue, writing/presenting can become a bridge back to one's ordinary
life.  And having personally experienced the need for a bridge, I know how
important that can be, although my need came from having tried a rather
different sort of 'pilgrimage', which was an attempt to move to Ireland, a
place I regard as my spiritual home.  Now I am back I relate very much to
those I hear on this forum who get back home after the Camino and wonder
what on earth to do with themselves!  I am having a very hard job
reconnecting with old friends, I don't know where I want to live or what
sort of work I could do.  It is harder, much harder, to reconnect with the
old than it is to connect with the new.

Anyway, thanks again Sue for your tips and inspiration.  As I try to write
about my 'pilgrimage'  (to which I hope to add a Camino)  and my 'place
apart' I might like to come back to you, or to Elizabeth, for some
support... Thanks for offering.

Peace to all, from England
Sally