post-camino - writing about one's experience of the Camino

Galen Wilkerson galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 3 09:57:47 PST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 06:20:54 -0800, Ana Young <ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM> wrote:

>--- Galen Wilkerson <galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM> wrote:
>
>Hi Galen,
>
>How in the world did you live on $1 a day in Santiago
>after your walk?
>
>Ana

Hi Ana,

Well, for the 1 Euro per day, I promised a friend I would not tell about it
unless the people were desperately in need, which I agree with.  I had no
money left in my bank account, so was desperately in need.

You can live there very easily for under 10 EUROS per day.  The seminary
albergue is 5 euros per day (no kitchen, have to remove your things every
day by 10am), and you can easily buy food for under 5 euros per day.
There are various grocery stores, one not far from the tourist office.
Chorizo and tuna fish both are relatively cheap and full of energy, and
don't require cooking, and bread and fruit are cheap as well.  It's not
super-comfortable, but it's ok for a while.  You can sit by the fountain
near the cathedral for free entertainment and to read a book, and the city
is nice to explore.  And there's the restaurant "cinqo cinquente", where
the meals are large, good, and only cost 5.50 each, on the praza cervantes
(plaza cervantes), I believe.  One of these meals will fill you most of the
day, esp. if you're not walking any more.  Most people couldn't finish the
salmon, so you could get a "doggy bag" and have leftovers with bread for
dinner.

I'm assuming you are practical, after walking across Spain.
If you need lots of extra comforts after all that walking in such a
friendly and comfortable place, I'd be amazed :)

Galen