post-camino...... Writing about the experience of the Camino

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Tue Dec 2 18:39:18 PST 2003

Sally and others,

Here is my 2 cents.

Pilgrim writing is exactly what I did on the Camino. Here is the routine I
followed.

When I boarded the plane to Paris I wrote down my intentions for the Camino. To
find my purpose, to find self love, to be a better parent, to be aware, to not
judge others, to meditate, to face my fears etc.  I read each intention and
practiced it at some point everyday as I walked. (this may seem to formal to
some of you, but I needed the discipline.) When I say I practiced it's because I
didn't know how to address some of my issues, but the Camino gave me a safe
place from which to face my fears and "practice" for the real world. Like rowing
training on the water before race day. I could make mistakes on the Camino and
learn from them before going home to live my Camino.

Then, every day I wrote in my diary. I wrote my pilgrim feelings from my heart
without judgment of myself or others. When I picked up a pen to write, I was
present and in the moment allowing me to express my emotions freely. I wrote the
date, the destination, the weather and the number of kilometers I walked that
day at the top of the page. I often wrote something about the physical reactions
as well as the emotional reactions of the day. (this comes from my training as a
competitive rower...we always kept a training diary that included what type of
workout and what was accomplished, always noting something about how we felt) I
didn't write much about the history of the regions. In total I wrote 192 pages
in a red Super Conquerant graph paper note book 11 X 17 cms.

Ironically, on the way home on the plane from Paris to Toronto, I read my entire
diary for the first time. As I read each page, I listed the lessons and gifts of
the Camino on the back pages of my diary. I discovered there were 55 lessons and
gifts, over 29 days of walking. Not bad.

I found my purpose in life, found the meaning of self love, faced my fears and
had many other profound experiences and revelations. I believe this is because I
went on a journey with an idea about where I wanted to end up and that wasn't
Santiago. I walked each day looking ahead in anticipation of reaching Cebreiro.
I had read about a miracle on the mountain and believed that something special
was waiting for me on Cebreiro. I was so right. Santiago was the walking
destination but Cebreiro was the spiritual destination.

Returning home I read and re-read by diary. I took a creative writing course at
a local university that taught me how to write my most intimate thoughts. I
wrote poetry, which I had never done before. I wrote short stories about the
Camino and fairy tales too. Thanks to the support of the people in this group
and Santiagobis responding to my stories in email format, I continued my
"pilgrim writing". And now I am writing a pilgrim book about my spiritual
journey called My Camino. I found a publisher who believes in my pilgrim story
and I am on my way to Cebreiro again.

Thanks for asking these questions as I believe it is so important to capture the
words of the journey. Someone told me that a storyteller records history. That
means if we can write or tell stories, then we are recording the history of the
Camino. Now that is very special.

Buen Camino,

Sue
sue.kenneyasympatico.ca