TRAINING

Galen Wilkerson galen_wilkersonaYAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 1 14:05:56 PST 2003

Hi,  glad you are thinking of doing the camino!

As far as training, go hiking as often as you can with or without a pack.
Just get your body used to walking all the time by walking all the time.

I would say, almost more important than training is:

**Do not carry more than 10 kg.  It is a form of torture to carry too much
weight. **

When packing:

pack your bag in a smallish backpack.
once you've packed, unpack and get rid of half or more, be severe
practice hiking long distances with this pack and you will know what I mean.
break in your (light) boots while you're at it!

spain is cheap, and if you really have to you can buy things in Pamplona or
Logrono

also, the first part in the pyrennees (st. Jean pdp to roncesvalles) gives
you a false sense of what you should do every day.  Your tendons and joints
need some time to get used to walking every day.  Despite what everyone
else does (they all go go go early, far, and fast), do not do this.  Take a
slow day very soon after the first one.  Take a break day at least once in
your first week.  Take an extra day in Burgos, and one in Leon.  Tendonitis
stinks and so do blisters and so does carrying extra weight.  Look at lists
of gear and think about them.  I didn't even bring a jacket on the camino,
just a wool sweater and a poncho.  wool is good because it doesn't stink. :)

good luck!
Galen