Internet availability in the Camino

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Aug 29 05:34:07 PDT 2003

Hi Gaby,
I can only tell you as far5 as Burgos, and all from memory since >I neither keep a diary nor take notes.
At Roncesvalles there is Internet access at the "albergue Juvenil", but sall pilgrims can use the computers there.
In Pamplona there are Internet centers everywhere, and very nice ones too.  The albergue is now located at a high school, somewhat far from the center, but it is in a residential neighborhood and there is an Internet center about a block away.
Puente La Reina has three albergues, and one of them has computers for use by pilgrims.... BUT... just before getting into the town, right after the fancy PEREGRINO hotel, and before the pilgrims monument by the road there is a hotel called XOAN, or something like that, where pilgrims with a credential can stay for 10 Euros in the lap of luxury, with privaste double rooms, clean sheets and towels, etc.  This hotel offers, for free wireless internet access; if a pilgrim wasn´t prescient enough to carry his/her laptop the hotel will rent one, for a minimal charge, and you can get into the Internet, totally without wires, anywhere within the confines of the hotel, even in the yard.  The service is called WI FI or something like that.  (The other albergues request either three or four Euros; I´ll report on them later.
The alñbergue in Estella doesn´t have computers, but there is an Internet center about two blocks away.
The old part of Longroño, the "casco" is a terrible mess and it is being presently rehabilitated in preparation for next year. The albergue is situated in the midst of it., in the Rua Vieja, and it is very nice.  It has three computers for free pilgrims´use; it also has a mini-hot-tub for feet, with medicated water, where pilgrims can sit around carrying on and soaking their feet.  The albergue, by the way, recently installed a striking pilgrim sculpture.  The depicted pilgrim is called Santiago, of course, and it is sitting down looking inward with a contented tiredness. For some reason the pilgrim was placed inside the albergue, at the foot of the stairway leading to the upper rooms, so that it can only be viewed by the pilgrims staying there.  The albergue is very nice, really.
Santo Domingo de la Calzada has twelve computers for use by pilgrims. They are located at City Hall which is in the small plaza right behind the Confraternity´s albergue.
Burgos´ albergue has no facilities to speak of, other than new bathroom/shower facilities.  I am very glad that the authorities have allocated some millions of Euros for a new albergue.  The only Internet center that I could find was a Cyber cafe in the Casco at La Puebla street, which was terribly hard-rock noisy and the envolving cigarrete smoke will burn your eyes and your lungs out.
That is all I know so far.
Warm regards to all.
Rosina
Hillary´s book is called "Historia Viva", Memorias, and it costs 25 Euros .