Sleeping gear

Ted Kayes tckayesaEARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 28 10:19:40 PDT 2003

We finished the Camino on 26 July.  When we left Astorga (a beautiful town,
don't miss the Gaudi residence) about a week earlier, the 5:30AM
temperature was 42F.  We were amazed by how cool some of the nights were.
We used very light weight sleep sacks and several nights, including the one
on which we got to Santiago, we were extremely grateful that the albergues
had blankets.  If we were to do again, even in the summer time, I would
carry a light weight sleeping bag.
An albergue with 30 to 80 people sleeping in a room normally is quite warm
by morning, but they sometimes start off cool.  Also, if we had ever found
it necessary to sleep outside, the sleep sack would have been of little value.
Two nights before Burgos, the albergue was in tents (not what the guide
book said) and it was a cold night.  Fortunately there were extra
mattresses and we slept on a mattress on the ground with another mattress
on top of us.

Ted Kayes