travelling back home

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Mon Aug 11 00:57:01 PDT 2003

Hi Sofia,

I too, shall be using Biarritz/Ryan Air and fly out on the 3 September and back on 8 October (I know I can make this from past experience and the fare back to London is only £24/$36 as it's a Wednesday).

I'm staying loose on the Santiago-Biarritz trip until I'm done. You can catch a train or take the bus.  The bus journey is about 13 hours (to cover a distance it will have taken you 5 weeks to walk!).  It doesn't follow the Camino the whole way but you get to see pilgrims on the section around Hospital de Orbigo.

The bus can be a bit cramped (tip: always try to get a seat on the left hand side to the rear, because Spanish coaches have a side entry the legroom on the right hand rear seats is a lot less) whereas on the train you can at least walk up and down to stretch your legs and I hear the scenery is good too.

Have a good trip, maybe we'll see each other on the way.

Jeffrey

23 days to go!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On Behalf Of Sofia
Sent: 10 August 2003 17:06
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: travelling back home

Hello,

My camino is getting closer, and I'm starting to get a little bit nervous but also very excited! I've bought new shoes and started to wear them for long walks, I've started to plan my packing in detail, and I'm just about to book my tickets. And that's where I could use a little help... (I know that it's very late, but due to things out of my control I wasn't able to decide on when to go until yesterday. And my schedule is rather flexible so there shouldn't be a problem.)

I'm flying to Biarritz with Ryan Air, and that seems perfect since I would like to start at SJPdP. The thing I'm wondering about is how to get back home after my arrival in Santiago. There seem to be two options: either go to back to Biarritz (by bus?) or go to Barcelona (Iberia?) to catch a Ryan Air flight from there. What would be my best choice, in your opinion? Or would you suggest something else?

Also, I would like to thank you all for all the information I've recieved through this maillist in the past six months! During this time I've been saving emails that I found useful for my planning (or just interesting in one way or another) and lately I've been putting all the information together in a word-document that has been so much help! I'm planning to print parts of it and bring it on my journey, together with the CSJ guides. Thank you! I hope I'll be able to return this favour to others once I get back home.

Take care!

Sofia
(less than three weeks to departure...!)