Ascent to Cebreiro

aumm aumm aumm_aummaYAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Aug 5 08:48:56 PDT 2003

As well as the later beauty of the route to El Cebreiro I will also never forget the one of the most dangerous stretches of walking I have ever done alongside the main road from Villafranca.  I understand that this is now the subject of a controversial plan to place a concrete barrier between the road and the crash barrier. This is obviously safer but not particularly aesthetically pleasing (though walking along the side of the main road doesn't have much to recommend it with or without a concrete barrier).  If you are a strong walker, I would definitely opt for the more demanding mountain route.

Gareth

Ana Young <ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM> wrote:
--- David Hough wrote:
The ascent to O Cebreiro is
> essential!

It`s also gorgeous and I wouldn`t have missed it for
the world. And although it`s not an easy climb, I had
heard about the challenge of it for so long - both my
first time when I didn`t make it there, and the second
when I did - that by the time I did it, it really
wasn`t all that bad. Most of it is fairly gradual
except for the one very steep climb of about 4 km.

Buen Camino!
Ana

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com