Trekking poles

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 1 08:41:09 PDT 2003

I checked my poles (they retract into a short length), knife, metal stuff, in a small throw away bag. It's not worth it to risk that stuff. The agents who pass you through customs can use their own judgement. One in Paris took a  very hamless small aluminum link called a carabiner from me. I think she didn't know what it was.
Deanna

Doug Tustin <pelicanaINNERCITE.COM> wrote:
I have used two treking poles for years hiking California Sierra Nevada
trails, and I wouldn't be without them. They may add some speed, but I
appreciate them more for the assist they give me going up hills and the
braking they give going down. Many times they have kept me from slipping
and falling, and I think they have prevented a few sprained ankles.
Sometimes I loan one to a hiking companion. With one pole I get the safety
benefits, a little bit of the boost and brake benefits but none of the
speed benefits.

I'll be starting at SJPP in early September. I plan to bring my pack as
carry-on luggage on the plane. I have heard that ski poles are not allowed.
Has anyone had any experience bringing treking poles in carry-on luggage?
Are there reasonably-priced treking poles in SJPP?

I'm getting excited about the journey, and I'm having Camino dreams almost
every night, even though I've not yet begun. Is this common?

Buen Camino
Doug