Holy Year Travel & Pilgrim Readings

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Wed Apr 30 18:10:49 PDT 2003

I am traveling right now, so do not have the numbers at my fingertips, but I
recollect that the number of pilgrims during a Holy Year is much more than
double the number in a normal year, it could be as high an increase as four
times.  I believe that the numbers show that increase in every month.  I heard
that they put up huge army tents to handle the crowds.  I have month by month
data for several years, I found it useful in trip planning.  As you probably
know, the numbers of pilgrims tend to increase each year, but holy year numbers
are just in a different class.

I don't like crowds, so I went in March and April of a non-holy year.  I would
probably not go during a Holy Year, but that is just my opinion.  Just be aware
that the holy year numbers are much higher than a normal year.

On the topic of the bible readings done by pilgrims at the pilgrim mass, one
person that I walked with did a bible reading.  He said that he was asked
whether he wanted to read at mass in the office when he got his compostella.
His view was that he would never get an opportunity like that again, so he said
yes.  We were very happy that someone we knew got to read.  He was from Spain.
I also spoke to a Mexican pilgrim who read at mass, but I did not ask him how
he was selected to read.  This offer was not made to me, but I would have
declined in any event, I am sure a native Spanish speaker would read better
than I.  I like the idea of having some non-Spanish readers, but of course most
of the pilgrims are from Spain.  They would have to stock up on bibles in many
languages.

Richard