Lack of Diversity on the Camino/Douglas

Xosé Manuel Alvariño ElcaminomejalaaAOL.COM
Sat Apr 26 11:21:59 PDT 2003

Hi Douglas,

I believe that the preponderance of caucasians in the Camino may have to do
more because it is located in Europe, than anything else. From what I've
read, most peregrinos seem to be French, followed by Spaniards.

There was an excellent exhibition at a museum in Compostela last year that
had to do with  world pilgrimage sites, I think it was called "Black
Pilgrimage Sites Around the World, " or something like that, I can't
remember. African pilgrimage sites reflected the majority of that continent's
inhabitants, blacks.

I like Basques. I grew up with, & have  good friends from Euzkadi. ETA is a
terrorist organization which is supported by a minority of Basques, albeit a
strong one.  I do not believe that this terrorist organization's violence is
by no means reflective of the Basque people as a whole. Basques have an
incredible history & language, let alone gastronomy, among other things. I
believe someone mentioned books about them. I highly recommend documentation
on the Basque people for those who are worried about them and confusing them
with ETA, since part of the Camino goes through the Basque country.

Xosé Manuel, Miami