Backpack Question - Answer

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Mon Apr 21 20:54:45 PDT 2003

If you have a backpack you like, you have used in the past, and that you
think is suitable, forget about a new backpack.  The new packpack may
look better in the store, and it may have new fancy features, but it may also
have new problems.

This argument applies to boots, backpacks, and any other piece of
equipment.  It is really foolish, in my view, to buy new equipment for an
extended trip unless you have an opportunity to test the equipment on
shorter trips first.  Of course, if your old gear is wearing out and might fall
apart on the trip, you may have no choice.   If you do buy new gear, make
sure you plan a short trip to try it out before leaving on a multi-week
journey.

I took old heavy boots on the camino because I had confidence in them,
that they and my feet were old friends.  It was a good decision for me, and
cut the risk of running into new problems with new boots.

Vaya con Dios,

Richard