Ziplock Bags Are A Clever Metaphor!

Douglass Norvell norvellaNAUVOO.NET
Wed Apr 9 19:34:20 PDT 2003

You clever devils!

While I get harangued and abused for initiating political discussions, you
slipped in a startlingly frank set of observations about the American
lifestyle, attitudes and politics using ziplock bags for a metaphor.

Yes, as you point out, Americans like to divide their vegetables, leftovers
and even camping gear into neat little packages that can be kept in order
and opened only when needed.  Extend that thinking to world politics and
there you have it.  American hegemony expressed in terms of plastic bags! If
only I shared your genius.

Going on, how clever to go even further by referencing the dirty clothes
getting the rest "smelly".  Was I the only one to connect that part of the
metaphor with herds of Arabs gone fetid in the hot desert from days of
wearing only their flowing seven day shiters.

Yes, I understand very well the American need to put the rest of the world
in "ziplock bags."

Shocked and awed, I remain.

Douglass G. Norvell, Ph.D. (Texas A & M University, 1970)