What did the Camno prepare you for?

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Tue Apr 1 23:47:54 PST 2003

Thought I'd share this with you:

My friend and fellow pilgrim Therese is a paediatrician working with Medcin
sans Frontiers in Ethiopia and has some harrowing tales to tell.

They are currently dealing with an outbreak of post measles dysentery.

This is part of an email from her about a family that had already lost three
children in the space of four weeks:

"When we came to do medical and nutritional outreach at the church of St
Georgis the father waited patiently for 3 hours to plead with us to save the
lives of his 2 remaining children. Something about him persuaded me to climb
for one hour up to the house on top of the mountain where his children live
and we found a 9 yr old so marasmic and oedematous that he had only days to
live and a little 7 yr old sister who was sick and also wasted from
prolonged dysentery. She (Adena) might have lasted another 3-4 weeks but the
boy had the look of death about him."

(Therese and an Ethiopian nurse/translator carried the two emaciated chidren
back down the mountain, they are now in hospital recovering)

She goes on to say:

"I so wish that I could walk the Camino again but I know that, when I was
exhausted climbing up to Chitgo on Bela to see if 2 children really were as
sick as their father claimed, that the Camino had prepared me or just such a
day."

And when I remember how she complained about blisters as we walked the
Camino!!!!

My your pilgrimage bring you and those around you similar benefits.

Jeffrey