Only 10 days, unfortunately

Gist, Megan mgistaKELLER.EDU
Mon Sep 23 09:31:12 PDT 2002

B'midbar-  just started training in the same area as you.  just hiked the
back side of PIKES PEAK last tuesday.  YIKERS!  anyway, been out of the
office for a week and wanted to talk to all of you and ask you a few
questions etc......about my future trip.

Walking sticks.....mine is 5 years old and is made of birch.  my mother
fashioned it into a curtain rod which ended up not fitting my current
residence.  VOILA!  my new friend.....my walking stick.  i think they are
useful and i believe if you use it like a "ski" pole then the only energy
expended on using it is with your fingers.   AND thank GOD, i couldn't have
rested ON it so well without it last week.

Also...QUESTION......what is the total altitude climb/slope from Sarria to
Compostela?  i've been hiking terrain that slopes up-hill 1000 feet/620
meters in about 1km/.03 miles.  how STEEP is the walk, REALLY?

any help that you can give would be great.  i just know that after being 3km
up in mountains that SEA LEVEL should be MUCHO easier.

thanks,
megan
the chicago pilgrim...

-----Original Message-----
From: B'midbar [mailto:bamidbaraCAMINANTE.US]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 12:01 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Only 10 days, unfortunately

I'm on a red-eye from Washington Dulles to Paris CDG four weeks from
tomorrow, with the intent to reach SJPP by train by the afternoon of the
24th.  Hang out that evening, then begin walking the morning of the 25th.  A
native of  Colorado, I began training at high altitude on very steep terrain
back in March and am currently quite comfortable with 40km (24 miles) day on
hilly terrain in approximately 6 to 8 hours, and am looking forward to the
trek.  I believe I can cover half the distance from SJPP to Compostela in 10
days no problem.  That being said, I'm soliciting readers' inputs regarding
natural and cultural sites to see and take in, and other parts that I can
skip over.  I'm quite excited about the human interaction in the refugios in
the evenings, but am also very much interested in things to see along the
way, as I believe I'll be settled down by mid-afternoon most days.  I'm also
interested in opportunities to attend mass in the evenings as I am going for
religious reasons.  Recommendations?

I always like it on the listserv when people talk about their own personal
experiences and rememberances.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, B'midbar.