returning from camino

Bruce McLean b_mcleanaTELUSPLANET.NET
Fri Sep 13 11:49:33 PDT 2002

Gretchen Gonzalez wrote:

> Antoinette
> I will be heading out for a section of the camino from Cebreiro or
> Sarria next month with my 71 year old mother!!

You might want to rethink starting from O Cebreiro unless your mother is
in very "good shape", while it is only 21k from O Cebreiro to
Triacastella there is a fair climb up to the Alto de Poyo and then a
long steep downhill to Triacastella. The route profile can be found at
                http://perso.wanadoo.fr/camino-frances/Gener/cadres5.htm

By the way the web view of O Cebreiro is exactly what you see out the
window of the refugio there.

> I would appreciate any experiences you might want to share along that
> stretch of the camino.  We'll have a week to get to Santiago.

> Did you stay in the refuges

IMHO the refuges were the best part of the Pilgrimage, very interesting
social interactions with  a very diverse group of people.  You may have
a bit of difficulty fitting in at first as most of the people you will
interact with have been familiar with each other for quite a period of
time and have learned to live with each others foibles; just give it
time and make allowances for them.

> Where did you stay in Santiago?

There is a plethora of accomodations in Santiago, on your trip talk to
anyone who has the Confraternityof Saint James Pilgrims Guide.  There
are also the two Turismos on Rúa do Vilar.  (Just down the street from
where you get your Compstela)

> Did you go on to Finisterre?

Yes, turismo will probably send you to the University for a "guide".
By the way don't get frustrated by one turismo sending you on to
another, there is a bit of a "turf war" going on.

> What is the terrain like along that part of the route?

Hilly but not excessively difficult, there is a small "ford" across a
stream on the last day but it is not  difficult.  It does require that
you take of your boots though so make sure you have sandals with you.

> Would you recommend leather boots or the all terrain gortex hikers?

Your personal preference, whatever is most comfortable for your
particular feet.  Boots that fit are the most important criteria. I wore
leather walked entire route without a blister.  My boots fitted, were
well "broken in" and I was fanatical about clean sets of socks.