Ronscevalles September 24

Diane Grust DEG33aAOL.COM
Wed Sep 4 09:49:35 PDT 2002

I will fly into Bilbao on September  22, and plan on staying one night -
then travel via bus (because someone on this site said the train system is
both slower and sometimes late) to Pamplona, then catch the "pilgrim bus"
at 6:00pm (18:00)to Ronscevalles.

That was me who said don't take the train and please don't...much longer.
The bus is run by Alsa (last year departed for Pamplona at 1230 and arrived
1615).  There is a tourist office on the lower level of the airport and one
directly in front on the museo guggenheim bilbao which can help you with your
plans, give you a map, etc.

Does this bus have another name or number?  I'm assuming I will be able to
book through this trip from Bilbao when I arrive at the airport.  Good or
bad assumption?

I don't think so.  The bus to Roncesvalles is run by Autobuses La Montanesa
and is a local bus.  When I was there last spring you did not buy tickets at
the window in the bus terminal which was closed but had to go out to the bus
platform number posted in the window and pay the driver directly.  The bus
was there early and so were a bunch of other pilgrims.  Just look for the
crowd...nervous looking foreigners with backpacks.

I will then get my Credencial del Peregrino at Ronscevalles and according
to an old message, be able to attend the pilgrims service and benediction
at the church.
Where exactly do I get the Credencial?  Is there a  regular time for the
church service in Ronscevalles?

Once you and everyone else get off the bus at the last stop you will be
walked together into the monestary where you will get the credential and they
will show you where to sleep.  IMPORTANT if you want to eat dinner you must
first buy a ticket from the restaurant up the hill.  They make the meal while
you are at pilgrim's mass and by pre-paying they know how many to prepare and
get you back to the dorms by lock out which is either 9:30 or 10:00 pm..  The
mass is at 8pm weekdays and 6pm Sat/ Sun.  You must leave the dormitory
during mass whether or not you want to attend.

I've got up to 33days to walk - and plan on being slow.  Any places where
the terrain is bleak or boring or simply 'missable' where, if I need to, I
might consider hopping on a bus to rest a bit and not be missing a great
vista or  not to be missed spot on the camino?

I would not decide this here if I were you...see how you feel and how you
react to the terrain ...you will learn if you can make it (I did in less than
33 days) but first see what happens, who you meet and how the weather is and
most importantly how you feel.

Finally, regarding mailing to oneself.  Is the correct  address to use: 'my
name, peregrino, Poste Restante, name of city, Spain?  And the post office
will  hold stuff for up to 2 months, until I have claimed it with my
receipt and passport in hand?

The instructions I have are last name in capitals and underlined  i.e. for
John Doe.  In your case you are a perigrina (feminine).

DOE,  John  (perigrino)
Lista de Correos
15780 Santiago de Compestela

Diane