Ronscevalles September 24

Karen Holmes dkholmesaTELUS.NET
Wed Sep 4 09:09:47 PDT 2002

Hi All!

I'm a minister in the United Church of Canada, on Sabbatical from September
through December, and walking the Camino is 'a journey I cannot not take.'
I'm looking forward to the experience, if awed by the physical demands

I'm starting from Ronscevalles on September 24, and just wanting to confirm
with you what I have gleaned about how to get there to start walking!
Anyone see something I'm missing in these plans?

I will fly into Bilbao on September  22, and plan on staying one night -
then travel via bus (because someone on this site said the train system is
both slower and sometimes late) to Pamplona, then catch the "pilgrim bus"
at 6:00pm (18:00)to Ronscevalles.

Does this bus have another name or number?  I'm assuming I will be able to
book through this trip from Bilbao when I arrive at the airport.  Good or
bad assumption?

I will then get my Credencial del Peregrino at Ronscevalles and according
to an old message, be able to attend the pilgrims service and benediction
at the church.

Where exactly do I get the Credencial?  Is there a  regular time for the
church service in Ronscevalles?

I've got up to 33days to walk - and plan on being slow.  Any places where
the terrain is bleak or boring or simply 'missable' where, if I need to, I
might consider hopping on a bus to rest a bit and not be missing a great
vista or  not to be missed spot on the camino?

Finally, regarding mailing to oneself.  Is the correct  address to use: 'my
name, peregrino, Poste Restante, name of city, Spain?  And the post office
will  hold stuff for up to 2 months, until I have claimed it with my
receipt and passport in hand?

Thanks for your insight and wisdom!   Gracias! Amigos.
Adios,

Karen