Pilgrim Story Day - announcement

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 15 11:41:17 PDT 2002

Pilgrim Story Day

Experienced pilgrims know that pilgrimage is much more than the actual
event. Pilgrimage starts with the first thought of it and continues long
after the pilgrim returns home. For those who have walked the Camino de
Santiago sharing stories with fellow pilgrims provides an important
opportunity for further exploration and processing of the sometimes
inexplicable experience. For those in the planning stage, hearing these
stories and talking with experienced pilgrims can provide useful information
and help prepare for a meaningful pilgrimage.

This event is deliberately kept simple so that we can focus on our stories,
just as pilgrims do every evening in the refugios after a long day’s walk.
It is inspired by the kindness of Father Jose Maria Alonso, priest at San
Juan de Ortega, and his sister, who everyday prepare a huge pot of garlic
soup for pilgrims who trek the long day from Belorado to the isolated
monastery in the Monetes de Orca. We will provide the soup and we ask that
you bring along something simple to share and your story. At San Juan de
Ortega, pilgrims bring to the table whatever they have left in their packs
from the day: salami, cheese, bread, fruit, wine, water, etc. This act of
sharing creates one of the magical gifts of the Camino that we would like to
share with you.

Kathy Gower, a once and future pilgrim who has completed her doctoral work
on how one incorporates their pilgrimage experience once they have returned
home, will act as moderator as we tell these stories and act as witness for
one another.

When:  November 9th, 2002
       9:30 - 3:30

Where:  St. Gregory of Nyssa
        500 De Haro St.
        San Francisco, CA 94107
        saintgregorys.org

RSVP:   Lin Galea
        lingaleaahotmail.com
        1070 Green Street
        San Francisco, CA 94133
        415-441-5951

Pilgrims are invited to join in the liturgy at St. Gregory’s (5:00 p.m.)
following the gathering.  saintgregorys.org