Numbers

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Oct 15 10:10:08 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
Pilgrimages have been defined as the physical expression of Christian
Passion. It appears that we are taking to the road in numbers dwarfing those
of medieval times.
The TACO almanac (from Spain), defining pilgrimages as going to a specific
destination with a religious purpose and undertaking physical effort, reports
the following figures as the yearly average of pilgrims over the past five
years:

1. To Saint Peter's in Vatican City, Rome, 30 million. (The will to go to
Rome perhaps explains why pilgrimages to not-too-near churches in Spain are
called "Remoras" and pilgrims "roomers.")
2. Our Lady of Guadeloupe Basilica in Mexico City, 15 million. (groups of
pilgrims have been known to walk from as far away as Brazil and Argentina;
there is an avenue leading to the Basilica with a wide walkway in its center
to accommodate the pilgrims who never seem to stop coming).
3. Cathedral of Santiago de Compositely, 10 million.
4. Lourdes Sanctuary in France, Fatuum Sanctuary in Portugal and San Giovanni
Rotundo (where Padre Pio de Pietralcina is buried) in Italy,  five  and a
half million each.
5. Jasna Gora Sanctuary (with the image of the "Black Virgin")  in
Czestochova, and Our Lady of Loreto Sanctuary in Italy, 5 million each.
6. Cathedral of Nossa Senhora Aparecida in Brasil, and San Antonio de Padua
in Italy, 4 million each.

I personally may add that the numbers of people who go to Our Lady of
Guadalupe Cathedral  in Mexico City have always impressed me. There are, in
fact, five churches dedicated to the Virgin on the site. The first one atop
the hill of Tepeyac, overlooking the immense city, was built on the 16th
century. Of the others that have been built throughout the centuries; one is
a museum. The newest, and largest one, was built about fifty years ago and is
the one wherein the original mantle with the image of the Virgin is
displayed.  Under the altar, and below the image of the Virgin, there are
four constantly moving mechanical belt conveyors so that no one may linger
and impede others from going under the Mantle.
The Basilica of Nossa Senhora Aparecida in Brasil is also quite impresive.
Although it is located in a fairly small town about 100 kms. from Rio de
Janeiro,  and one has to drive through perilous mountain roads, it is always
crowded.  So much so that it has, without a doubt, the largest parking areas
in the world, from which one may reach the church through long pedestrian
bridges suspended in the air.  The very large church also has conveyor belts
to discourage remaining before the image of Our Lady for too long.  Never
having heard of the church, or the image (which is a small statue found
-"appeared"- floating in a river three centuries or so ago, and who is the
Patroness of Brasil), the first time I went there I was pretty taken aback by
the size, the majesty, and the reverence of the place.

Surprisingly, the almanac does not mention the number of Assisi, or
Medjugorje pilgrims, which I should think are quite considerable.
Lastly, in a related note, last Sunday, after Mass, my parish invited those
interested to go on a Marian pilgrimage to Marmora, Ontario, in Canada.  A
great many visitors  have claimed to have seen, or heard, Our Lady in a
quiet, unassuming farm in Marmora.  Apparently thousands have gone to the
farm over the past twenty years including bishops, priests, nuns and other
faithful.  I, for one, had never heard of it before. Well, I suppose that, as
always, faith leads the way.
Warm regards,
Rosina