Blind pilgrim

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Oct 15 09:01:49 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
A  serious illness caused  Laure Frappier Martin, a Canadian teacher, to lose
 her eyesight.  Nevertheless, she resolved to carry out her long held desire
to walk the Camino.
With the help of two friends she practiced walking in Canada between the
Oratory of Saint Joseph and the Sante-Anne-de-Beaupre Basilica.
When she felt ready, Laure and her two friends, Micheline Brunelle-Racicot
and Monique Brunelle-Boiselle,  departed for SJPP after attending a special
blessing ceremony in Varennes, Canada.
It took Laure and her friends 43 days to walk from SJPP to Santiago. Shortly
after they started out they met a Spanish-speaking French pilgrim from
Orleans, Helene, who volunteered to accompany them as an interpreter and to
serve as pictorial guide describing to Laure flowers, birds, monuments, and
works of art in the churches and museums they visited.
Returning to Canada, Laure gave a talk about the pilgrimage in her church on
September 17 last and received a standing ovation from the teary-eyed
congregates.
These are some of the things she said:
"I carried a 10 kilograms backpack containing clothing, medicines and other
essential articles."
"I realized that I was a privileged being and that one can live fully without
artificial comfort items."
"Happiness comes from within, and not from the things that surround us. To be
happy is an internal decision."
"Walking the Camino I learned to appreciate the profound meaning of the 'here
and now'. I was so very fulfilled that stopping to feel the air itself was
important and beautiful".
"Although I now know that I am far stronger than I thought, I also know that
I could never have made the pilgrimage without my guiding friends".
"We stayed at the albergues because I wanted to live the communality of
humbleness. Everyone was respectful and friendly; I was never fearful nor
apprehensive. The Camino itself was my protection".

Regards,
Rosina