Episcopalian Church.

Lia Laura Puglesi keyl_1336aYAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 7 20:55:57 PDT 2002

Thank you so much again, Rosina. I have taken note of everything.

I don't know if you knew it but in Argentina (I am not sure about other Latin American countries) and Specially where I come from (Mendoza) "Patron Santiago" (of course, on July 25th) is a holyday and and in the past there were celebrations and fairs in the city. It is very weird, because when I knew about the pilgrimage to Compostela and I started to seriously think about getting my feet in the road, I didn't related in my mind Santiago de Compostela with Patron Santiago in Mendoza. I came to know about the Compostela Pilgrimage because due to my passion for medieval history and legends. I had never been particularly interested in "la fiesta del Patrono" for me, it was just a day I didn't have to go to school and that was enough. It took me a few days to realize that both celebrations were linked. That can give you an idea about how powerful a presence the Catholic Church used to be in my country.

My grand father would sing songs related to the pilgrimage to Santiago and the Feast of other “Santo”, San Fermín who, I deduce from the Lyrics, is or was the “Patrono” of Pamplona, where his father’s family came from. I always remember

“uno de enero, dos de febrero,

tres de marzo, cuatro de abril,

cinco de mayo, seis de junio,

siete de julio, San Fermín.

A Pamplona hemos de ir, con una media y un calcetín”

I don’t remember the rest of the song (which as you can see is pretty silly) or any other song from those he used to sing while repairing something at home or painting the walls. But It is funny that I remember his voice better when I think of the song than when I try to just evoque him just speaking

All my mother’s ancestors come from the Viscaine countries in both sides of the border, so, the Compostela pilgrimage holds for me many meanings, among them, a certain return to the roots.

I really like the fact thar women can be priests (priestess?) at the Episcopalian Church. I wonder if there are many actually doing that.I bet you know...?

What you said about how the Camino influences or produce changes in the pilgrims... I have not doubt about that! All traveling which is not merely touristy or for business reasons does, and usually it has its counterpart in different journey within. Now I wonder: is it really the Camino” which detonates certain particular changes in certain particular people who has been consciously looking for that journey for whatever reasons, or it is more likely that the people that go in the journey are a particular kind of folks that actually took with them something that they "place" or which what they invest with the Camino on a special meaning? Sorry I lack vocabulary and my grammar is too imperfect to really reflect what I am trying to say.

Lia

Hot links to save wildlife (below in blue) Links para salvar vida silvestre. (en azul)

Join Care2.com's Race for the Rain Forest!     Join Care2.com's Race for the Big Cats!

Join Care2.com and The Breast Cancer Fund's Climb to End Breast Cancer!

Join Care2.com's Race for the Oceans!

faith.yahoo.com