Blessing of Animals

David hiking El Camino de Santiago caminoaOAKAPPLE.NET
Sat Oct 5 22:53:44 PDT 2002

> Yesterday, October 4, was St. Francis' feast day.  As Santiago is the patron saint of Spain St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of Italy...

> For centuries there have been many discussions as to whether St. Francis actually made the Santiago pilgrimage. There seems to be no actual consensus...

Regardless of the historical facts, one might imagine a pilgrimage starting
in Assisi and proceeding to Arles and then to Santiago.    There are enough
GR's in southern France that could be connected to Italy, but is there
any comparable system of walking paths in Italy to connect to?

===

This question was raised for me by the
opening this month of the San Francisco Opera's production of Messaien's
Saint François.    Though I wouldn't have had time to start in Assisi
next year even if the way existed in good form, it's an interesting thought
for future years.    My current plan for next year is at
http://camino.oakapple.net