Blessing of Animals

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Oct 5 13:02:23 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
Gosh! so many messages about this.
Most of you are perfectly correct: the Blessing of the Animals is much related to Saint Francis of Assissi, the most famous and beloved (except, perhaps, for Pope John XXIII) of all Santiago pilgrims.
Yesterday, October 4, was St. Francis' feast day.  As Santiago is the patron saint of Spain St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of Italy; he is also the patron saint of animals worldwide, and the patron saint of lawyers (please don't laugh).
We all know that St. Francis had a great respect and love for animals, and continually told people that the word "animal" comes from the Latin "anima" which means soul, and reminded his listeners that we humans are members of the animal kingdom ourselves.  The story of the wolf that came to St. Francis and rested at his feet, after terrorizing a neighborhood, is well known, as is the fact that birds would come to stand on his hands and shoulders. Consequently, many churches combine St. Francis' feast day with the Blessing of the Animals, as is the case with the (Episcopalian) Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York which will hold a solemn Mass tomorrow, at 11:00 a.m., followed by the procession of the animals which is very colorful and eye-filling.  Those of you who may wish to attend can get a (free) ticket ahead of time, or right before Mass; only a ticket per person will be dispensed.  You can see, of course, the hundreds of sundry animals arriving and departing in !
 the street, if you wish.
As to lawyers, many of us took up the profession inspired by a phrase in one of St. Francis' famous prayers:  "Lord, make me an instrument of your justice". All the nun-lawyers and priest-lawyers that work on behalf of the poor, the downtrodden, the immigrants and the sick, will tell you that they were inspired by St. Francis, as was I.
But the Blessing of the Animals has been a Christian ritual that dates back to the Second Century and has at its core respect and regard for all living creatures in our universe, and it may take place, once a year, on a date agreed upon by the particular parish or community.  In the Village, most of them take place in May and June; they are, however, neighborhood affairs that cannot compare in any way with St. John the Divine's.
Those going there tomorrow may just want to walk in and see the "Images of Man" exhibit that will be open from 1:30 to 5:00 p.m.
St. Francis founded a convent in Santiago at the beginning of the XIII Century.  Most of the original structures were destroyed in the XVI and XVII centuries; only some arches in the cloisters remain from the original edifice.
The present day Church of St. Francis in Santiago was built in the middle of the XVIII century; its proximity to the Cathedral, and the height of its domes, make the church visible from almost every point in the City. There is an impressive statue of St. Francis in front of the church, sculpted by Asorey. In a small lateral patio there is a much admired sculpture known in Galician, as "o santo das pombas" (The Saint of the Doves).
The mendicant Franciscan order was establish to help those in need. In 1999 a portion of the order's building was used as a pilgrims' albergue.  The same facility is expected to be open during the next Jacobean Holy Year.  Meanwhile, the Franciscans, in conjunction with Caritas (another Catholic order) run the albergue in Santiago for needy passers-by.
In Spain there is a popular way of referring to St. Francis: "Salve, hermano peregrino Francisco" (Ave, brother pilgrim Francis).
For centuries there have been many discussions as to whether St. Francis actually made the Santiago pilgrimage. There seems to be no actual consensus.  In my last visit to Assisi, last January, a prelate there said that there is a document that St. Francis received in Santiago from the then bishop (Xelmirez?), which is kept in the Vatican library because Assisi does not have the facilities to safeguard a document of such value and importance.
Two biographies of St. Francis were published in the U.S. last year; they do not, however, shed light on the question.
The museum of the Cathedral of Leon has a hauntingly beautiful painting of St. Francis descending the Pyrenees.  A photograph of it, and of a pilgrim walking in front of me that uncanningly resembles the painting are somewhere in my computer and presumably can be sent.  Please send me a direct message if you would like the pictures to be e-sent to you.
Fond regards,
Rosina