Manhatttan - Cathedral Church of St John the Divine: Time to Hope - Treasures of Castilla y Leon

Margaret LaCugna mmlacugnaaMSN.COM
Sat Oct 5 14:17:14 PDT 2002

Hi    I could not tell from the messages if many had actually been to the exhibit or were adding referral or background information along the way.

Thursday I went to see it and found it was nicely documented and displayed although one can still smell the smoke from the wretched fire. As a lover of incunabula, I think one can never see too many 1493 Gutenburg bibles or handwritten prayers (Teresa de Jesus) in excellent condition whether in Burgos, Leon, Soria, Valladolid. A good assortment and balance of very good polychromes, altar pieces, a few giant chorus books (remember them?) and a plethora of ornate crosses although a few seemed to be in dim areas. Loved the parchments and bibles from the San Isidoro !

The link to the Cathedral is http://www.stjohndivine.org     If you make a day of it, there are numerous restaurants, etc. from 103-4 to 114th on Broadway so take the time and visit !

Also year 'round, keep in mind the vespers at 6pm (summers at 5pm). I have been going for almost three years each week since I live four blocks away. The vespers are always reverential not quite like an extraordinary night in Rabanal del Camino for me but, in the midst of Manhattan, timeless nevertheless.

I leave Monday for Sarria-Santiago-Finisterre to complete what I did not last year.

Ciao tutti

Margot

Best Regards,

Margaret LaCugna