Sv: Books

fkjaer fkjaeraPOST7.TELE.DK
Fri Nov 15 07:24:35 PST 2002

Hi Vera,

You write that you are particularly  interested in the history of the towns/villages along the way and sites worth seeing and ask which of the following books people on this list recommend:

A Practical guide for pilgrims  by Rebekah Scott
- I do not know that book.

The Way of St. James  by Alison Raju
- I have not read it, but it is generally recommended.

Following the way  by Elyn Aviva
- The title is: Following the Milky Way. A pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago.
A very fine book about a pilgrimage in the early eighties. Many things have since changed (for the better as well as for the worse). Besides her personal reactions she also writes a lot about history, architecture, etc.
A good read.

Pilgrim stories  by Nancy Frey
- A very fine book about peoples motifs and what happens mentally as you walk.
My favourite camino-book.
I think one should read it after having walked the camino, though. I'm glad that I did.

Pilgrimage road to Santiago by Linda Davidson
+ Gitlitz, David M.
The subtitle is: "The Complete Cultural Handbook", which is no exaggeration. A very fine book that I think will meet yor interests.

Frans.
[ 56° 11' 38.6'' N - 10° 14' 5.36'' E ]