DOGS ON THE CAMINO

Richard Sampson MD.SAMRaNWH.ORG
Fri May 24 10:26:04 PDT 2002

We too had the pleasure of meeting Bernie at the Fromista refugio where he was ejected by
the hospitaleria about this time last May. We were sitting in the courtyard with some
Brazilian peregrinas when he came out.  Not knowing his history until I read
sue's story we were wondering how to care for him.  My wife walked down to the nearby
grocery store and bought a can of dog food which he ate with gusto.  later in the evening
we wondered where he was but was informed that someone in a car picked him up.
we did not know Bernie made this walk every day.   We also had some
pleasant encounters with
dogs brought on the Camino by other pilgrims.  A German peregrina, Ulla, brought her little
dog Nellie and walked with us from Ventosa to Najera, where we lost them since we continued
on to Santo Domingo. Nellie wore a shell on her collar.
Another German pilgrim in a van supported group also brought his
little dog.     Richard