Bernie

Susan Edwards susanamismaHOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 15 05:38:14 PDT 2002

Reading about Bernie brought back fond memories of the Camino 2000. My
daughter and I stopped at the bar in Castrojerez where we listened to
fabulous classical music- the first in weeks- took pictures with the bird
and received a scallop shell from the proprietor, Anton. Later in the day we
saw a large German shepard frollicking with some other dogs, so when Anton
approached us that evening in Boadilla looking for Bernie, we could say we
had seen him. Anton then invited us to go look for him, and my daughter and
I and our friend Fernando from Brazil hopped in his car and sped off to
Fromista. What a strange sensation that was! After we found Bernie at the
refugio, Anton showed us the locks on the canal that were the model for the
Panama Canal, took us to St. Martin's church, paradigm of Hispanic
Romanesque architecture founded in 1066, which was closed when we walked
there the next day, and then treated us to drinks at a local bar before
returning us to Eduardo's refugio in Boadilla. This was only one of the many
serendipitous encounters we had with the hospitable Spaniards along the
Camino.
Susan from St Thomas, US Virgin Islands