cell phones

jim allen jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM
Mon Mar 25 10:57:09 PST 2002

The people who defend carrying cell phones probably have good reason to carry one and are probably very responsible in their use.
The people who don't want cell phones on the Camino are probably thinking of the sudden loud burst of, "Hey John, what's happening?"  These clods don't recognize that modern technology permits a low voice rather than their sharing, loudly, their personal lives.
When I am talking with a friend, neighbor, or businessman, I don't want to be interrupted by the friendly jingle of a cell phone.  And when they actually answer it, you are now unimportant and must wait to regain the other's attention. While walking on the beach last week I saw a man in a bathing suit with a cell phone hooked to it.

When on the Camino in 2000, my son reserved 1:00-2:00pm as the time he might try a local telephone to call the U.S.  We were on bikes so it was easy to get to a telephone two or three times in two weeks.

Vaya con Dios,

Jim Allen