cell phones

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 23 21:48:56 PST 2002

I would not say people ought never even think of carrying cell phones on the pilgrimage, but . . .

I would challenge us to think about the potential benefits of trying to break all ties, or at least all convenient, accessible, ties to people back home.  It made my trip all the better to have a limit on contact back home.

Also, I remember feeling a bit annoyed when my silence was broken by the ringing of a cell phone once on the pilgrimage -- that's probably just a bad reflection on me, but . . . if you take a cell phone, and it is just for emergencies, I would suggest leaving it turned off until you need it.

Several walkers had cell phones for business and emergencies, and didn't have any problems charging them or whatnot -- I think you would need an adaptor though.

peace,
michael b

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dorothy Imundi
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 11:44 PM
  Subject: Re: cell phones

  Hi Gina,
  I understand your concern with keeping in touch with your family, but no one has mentioned that perhaps anyone travelling alone would be well-advised to carry a cell phone if only for emergency use.  I felt much safer knowing that if I turned an ankle or what-not, I wouldn't have to wait for someone to pass by and help me. I could just call the emergency number I was given before I began my walk.  I don't recall what it was though.  It gave me a sense of security as I truly believe that although we trust in God, He wants us to use our common sense.

  I bought my international phone at home.  It only cost me $85 and I can use it in many countries.  Of course, I still use it here.  Also for a $5 per month fee, I was able to e-mail my family on the phone as well.  With a phone, you can call from any area of the camino without having to wait to get to a town. You can share with your loved ones back home any thrilling experience you may have at the very moment.  I know I called my daughter and it was wonderful to share with her my joy.

  Dorothy