Place names and Diego

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Sat Mar 16 14:52:55 PST 2002

Well, I've been away for only 3 days, and return with 178 messages from
Gocamino-ers. And such interesting topics

Diego: yes, a formation of Sant Iago, as the t slipped to the next word and
metamorphosized. I'm sure there's a linguist out there somewhere that can give
us the exact term when the pronunciation changes.    Maryjane ?
[There are lots of examples of these sliddings of a letter from one side of an
expression to another. In english,for example: a  napron  became an apron

San Diego California is NOT named for our St. James, but another St. Diego.
Who lives in San Diego to tell us that story?

The meanings of Spanish words fascinates me as well. I think, however, that we
jump too quickly to believe about Mansilla de las Mulas.  The village would
have us believe the story about the hands and the saddle and so on (witness
their modern shield).  I figure, however, that Mansilla is a much changed
diminutive form of the lating for mansion

Linda D