O Cebreiro

jim allen jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sat Mar 16 12:26:19 PST 2002

On page 224 of Elyn's book, Following the Milky Way.......she writes:
"O Cebreiro is spelled O Cebrero in our guidebook but O Cebreiro on the new roadsigns in acknowledgment that the Gallegan spelling is more valid than the Castilian..............an indication that Galicia is reclaiming itself.  Galicia with its sonorous bagpipes, Galicia with its Celtic past, Galicia with its own language, Gallego, a mixture of old Castilian and old Portugese. Galicia most western of the Spanish provinces, famous for its fishermen, its forests, its legends of sorcerers and witchcraft, its midnight magic and apple-laden, blue flamed queimada punch.  Galicia, famous for its shrine of Santiago de Compostela."

Thanks, Elyn, that paragraph choked me just a wee bit.