Names

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Fri Mar 15 10:51:35 PST 2002

James A. Michener in IBERIA wrote the following:  "...Santiago de
Compostela, the last word of which could have been derived from either the
Spanish  Campo de la estrella (in Latin, Campus Stellae, meaning Countryside
where the Star Shone) or the latin Compost Terra (from compostum, burying
ground).

I paraphrase from the same work, same page 842:  In Spain the name James
appears in a variety of forms.  Latin:  Jacobus and therefore the Jacobean
Route; Old Spanish, Iago which evolved into Jaco'me and Jaime, the latter of
which is still preferred along the Mediterranean coast; as the name of our
Saint it became the composite form Santiago which prevails today; through a
false division this produced Diego; and in France it became Jacques.
Michener avers that in some years all these names are heard along the route.
I don't recall  exactly but I believe he wrote IBERIA during the 60's so
more recent scholarship might contradict his statements. Sanchez