Bull-Fighting

Stephanie Pierson spiersonaLLGM.COM
Wed Mar 13 05:57:27 PST 2002

Tony -

I am somewhat distressed by your posting.

First, I believe that the people who are asking the questions about the
refugios (private room, bath, meals, etc.) are doing so not because they're
looking for a touristy, packaged holiday but because they want to be
properly prepared for their journey.  If you know that meals will not be
provided, for instance, you can plan on having to find (or bring) your own
nourishment.

Second, I'm troubled at your suggestion (or, rather, my perception of a
suggestion) that the only reason one should walk El Camino is for the
religious pilgrimage.  While I understand your not wanting the walk to
become a cheap tourist attraction, I think you need to give the people who
walk it for other reasons some credit.  I truly believe that there are many
people who would choose to make this walk for its historical, cultural and
natural gifts, if not specifically for its religious ones.  I don't think
you need to participate in the religious aspects of the walk to partake of
the spirituality.

I am Jewish.  I will not be walking the Camino for any reason attributed to
Catholocism or Christ or Saints, per se.  But I know that the walk will
move me in ways that I have not yet experienced in my lifetime.

I would not want the Camino to become a cheap tourist trap either but
please consider a little tolerance and understanding for those of us who
have other reasons than religion to undertake the journey.

Thank you for listening.

Stephanie
spiersonallgm.com