Wheels

Dorothy Imundi Ddirenzo2000aAOL.COM
Tue Mar 12 13:57:29 PST 2002

Hi, Mary Kay,

I walked the Camino in Sept 2000.   When I was in Pamploma, I met a woman who
had walked from St Jean using a backpack to which she had attached a luggage
trolley (wheels).  She said she had no problem, not even in the mountains as
she could easily put the whole thing on her back if she needed too.  I took
her advice and bought wheels in Pamplona and of course it made life easier
while I was using the buses.  When I began walking I continued to use the
wheels  even on gravel and dirt paths.  I had packed lightly enough that if
the ground was very rocky or muddy, all i had to do was lift it up by the
handle and carry it with one hand.  No problem!  There was also a very nice
person I walked with occasionally who would automatically grab one end of it
without my asking when we came to  difficult terrain.  Very nice of him!
I'm glad I used them and would do it again especially since my back is not
that strong and I wouldn't want to risk injury..  Buy the lightest backpack
you can find and pack the bare minimum.  Do not buy one with attached wheels
because they are much too heavy.  Again, buy the lightest set of wheels you
can find.  Then again, you could wait till you get to the Camino, use the
pack on your back and see how you feel. When you get to Pamplona or any other
big city you can buy wheels there.   They are so cheap there that you can
leave them at a refugio if you feel you don't want them any longer.
BTW, I also saw a young man using wheels.