about cheap flights (& calling home)

Remi Loyer loyerraCADVISION.COM
Tue Mar 12 10:56:45 PST 2002

Cheapest flights we were able to find within Europe last fall while living
in Barcelona for 5 months was www.easyjet.com
while they do have lots of ridiculously cheap flights, you have to plan in
advance to get them.
their website is great - there are no paper tickets, all you need is your
passport and the confirmation #, and you can compare all their flight/prices
very easily, and you only book one-way flights, so you don't need to book
return to get the posted prices.

another way of getting around within Spain on the cheap: www.renfe.es
Spain's national train system

In terms of getting to Roncervalles or SJPDP, the closest easyjet-serviced
airport is Barcelona.
(for north american connections - check out London Gatwick and Amsterdam)

We were already in Barcelona before heading to the start of the camino, so I
don't know if you can make all these connections back-to-back. (or if you
would want to!)

 From Barcelona it is a 5hour bus ride to Pamplona, from which we shared a
taxi to SJPDP with another pilgrim.

On the topic of saving money, we were in Spain for 5 months, first as
pilgrims, then as students, so - leave your cel phones and Canada-Direct
cards and calling cards etc... at home.
Go to any tobacco shop and buy the Tarjetas (cards) that are posted in the
windows.  even if you pick the worst of them you'll still get 30 minutes of
talktime to north america for about 6 euros. (compared to a Canada-Direct
6-minute collect call for $22. canadian!). you just dial a toll free # from
any payphone and then dial direct. no operators, no connection charges.
EUROCITY and EUROLINK cards for 6 euros were the best deal: good for 90 to
100 minutes anytime.

Enjoy the planning, but remember that you can't plan for everything, and
after a few days on the camino, you will learn your pace, find your routine,
and it becomes a wonderful experience to enjoy and learn from.
Remi