food?

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Mar 9 03:59:07 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/9/2002 4:09:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
denise1234aEARTHLINK.NET writes:

> Do the refuges feed you? or should I plan to take my meals in
> restaurants?

I only had meals prepared by the refugio in two isolated towns that had no
decent restaurants or cafes.  The food was about $4 a meal and not as good as
a restaurant; some refugios have kitchens where people can cook communal
meals if they like.  The preponderance of the refugios are in towns or cities
where you can get a variety of great meals for a relatively modest amount of
money.

One word of caution -- be prepared to plan your own breakfast and lunch a day
ahead of time if you will be in a place without meals available at the time
you decide to eat.  You can buy yogurt (as Shirley MacLaine and I did),
fruit, cheese, bread, juice, etc., in a supermercado that will keep a day or
more.

For emergencies I made my own granola bars and trail mix before I left home.
I doubt that this added more than a few ounces to my backpack.  What I did
not eat or want to carry, I shared in the refuges or on the Camino with my
new amigos.
Howard Mendes, NYC