Starting points

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Wed Mar 6 16:54:17 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From:   Ana Young [SMTP:ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 06, 2002 3:34 AM
To:     GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject:        Starting points

Thanks to the person who suggested Pau as a good
starting point if you want to start before the actual
border crossing. Sorry I don't remember who it was, I
come to the cyber and rush through the messages in
nothing flat ;-)

That's for the Aragones route.

Ana

Pau is also on the Route from Le Puy.  We camped there one night and then
cycled to Navarrenx. ( Probably the worst day of our pilgrimage as the roads
were incredibly steep, we had to push our bicycles up the hills,  we got lost
several times and then it rained so hard that we had to walk them down the
hills because the roads were too slick to ride.)  We stayed at the Commercial
Hotel and had dinner in the restaurant.  It was one of the best meals I've ever
had.  Classical music, three courses, good wine AND the owner picked up all of
our silverware at the end of each course,  went to a silver chest, placed new
utensils on a cloth napkin and then placed them on the table before serving the
next course.  The food was from heaven ( Be sure to have the Face of Veal.) and
only cost about $20 per person including desert and coffee.  It took us two
days on bikes to get from Pau to SJPP so I'm guessing it is four days on foot.

I can suggest other places further back if I know how many days you want to
walk.

bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue