questions on doing laundry

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Sat Jun 29 10:02:08 PDT 2002

The answers to most of these questions are available in the excellent
Pilgrims Guide to the Camino Frances available from the Contraternity of St
James in London.

 From my own recent personal experience, I have given a brief answer to the
questions below.

Hope this helps.

Mail me off-list if you would like some more details.

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: M Parker
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 11:46 AM
Subject: questions on doing laundry

Just some questions about doing laundry as it is key to carrying a light
pack.

Question:  Are there any washing machines available at the refugios or
nearby
washaterias?

Answer:  In some yes, in others no.  See the above mentioned guide.

Question:  How about professional laundry services in the smaller towns?

Answer:  Yes, of course, there are laundry services available, but obviously
you cannot rely on that in smaller places.   And, sometimes I found that if
you booked your washing in when the shop opens in the evening, you may not
be able to collect it until the next morning - which could be inconvenient
if you want to make an early start.  But why bother?  Just hand-wash your
clothes in the refugio and hang them out to dry.  You are only bringing
fast-dry clothes aren't you?

Question:  How about availability of lines for outdoor drying?

Answer:  Pretty well available at all refugios.  A better question is:  Is
there indoor drying?

Question:  Should I carry a line for drying my own clothes?

Answer:  Yes.  And pegs too.

---