Hi! I'm new!

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Wed Jun 19 02:51:22 PDT 2002

Anne,

I have annotated your original mail with my responses.  If you want further
details you can mail me off-list if you wish and I will be happy to help out
further if I can.

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: Dr. Anne M. Jensen
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:11 PM
Subject: Hi! I'm new!

Hi Everyone!
I'm from Australia, I've just heard about the Camino and am seriously
considering it very soon!  But I want to learn more about it... It sounds
like you all are veterans!  So can people help me with these questions:

1. Obviously, summer would be the "best" time to walk it, but is it then
that it's the crowdest?  When do you guys think it's best time of year to do
it?   (Keep in mind I'm from the tropics...)

Reply:
I have recently returned from having started from SJPP on May 1st.  For me,
this was the best time of year to go as the countryside all along the way
was at its best and so beautiful.  Sure, there were days  when it snowed,
sleeted, hailed, rained  or blew a gale and there were other days when the
sun was blisteringly hot (about 35C).  But for the most part, the early
mornings (i.e. before 0800) were fresh and after that there was good walking
weather.  At this time of year, everything is in full growth  (crops in the
fields, wild flowers, young animals, birds, frogs etc) all of which
contributed to a great richness of colour, sounds and smell.

Whilst the first few days of May were very crowded in SJPP and Roncesvalles
(a lot of people seem to have set out at the beginning of that month!)
things thinned out, and after about 3 days of walking, I was easily able to
walk alone if I chose with hardly another peregrino in sight.   I usually
walked slowly for most of the day and checked into a refugio by about 5 or
6pm and rarely had a problem with finding a space.

Later in the year (i.e. summer and autumn), I understand that things are
very different, but I have no personal experience of that.  If I were to go
again, I would still make the journey in April/May/June time for the above
reasons.

2. How long will it take for a rather fit individual?  I like to run, etc.,
but haven't done much "hiking"...

Reply:
 From SJPP, I arrived in Santiago after 30 days.  After a couple of nights
there, I then walked to Finisterre in 3 days.  I am not what you would
describe as 'fit'.  At first I was doing about 20km or less per day but
after some weeks I found I was easily doing around 30 or 35km without even
realising it.  I think you just get fitter as you make the Camino and this
appeared to be the same for most people I met.

Now, I was very lucky in that I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with
my feet, legs or back so I was not held up by any injuries and could just
walk at my own natural rhythm.  On the other hand, I came across many 'fit'
people who did suffer severe problems with blisters, tendonitis, infections,
gastro-intestinal problems, backpain etc and this did cause them to rest up
for days along the way.  So you should allow for this.

All told, I took 38 days.  30 days from SJPP to Santiago (including a 2
night stopover in Burgos on the way), a 2 night stop on arrival in Santiago,
3 days to Finesterre, another 2 nights in Santiago on return, and then
another day to make it back to Biarritz to catch the plane home.

Of course, you could run the journey!  I did see a 70 year old guy doing
this - and this was the 3rd time he had done it!!!

3. How much gear do you REALLY need?  Is there a recommended "must have"
list anywhere?

Reply:
The 70 year old guy that I saw running only had a very lightweight nylon
day-pack on his back, so you can go with virtually nothing!  Me, I used my
70 litre rucksack which, together with contents, weighed about 13 kg.  But
it fitted me really well and after a few days I hardly noticed the weight.
As regards a 'must have' list, there are a number in the archives of this
mailing list.

4. Please comment of "safety" for a lone female...

Reply:
None of the women I met on the SJPP to Santiago stage of the journey felt
any concern about their safety.  However on the Santiago to Finesterre leg,
which is much more remote and isolated, I did come across a young woman
walking alone who, earlier that day, had been confronted by a very
persistent guy cruising along in his car and this did cause her concern.
Eventually he got the message from her that she did not want a lift and sped
off;  but she was shaken by this bad experience.  The problem on this
stretch  is that there are so, so few walkers in comparison with the Camino
Frances itself  and  you cannot rely on assistance arriving if you get into
any difficulties.  Same applies if you suffer an accident.

5. Getting lost... is it easy to get lost?  And find your way back? Where
can I get a good map, etc?

Reply:
It is almost impossible to get lost on the way to Santiago.  You don't need
a map.  Just follow the yellow arrows that point all along the way.  Or
follow the crowd in the busy months!

Santiago to Finesterre is very different.  At times you can easily loose
your way and you do need directions for this.

6. Is Spanish necessary? Recommended?  I have a working knowledge, no "good"
but "okay"...

Reply:
A working knowledge is more than enough to get by - but not necessary as I
met many peregrinos who managed quite well without knowing the lingo.  There
is almost always some other person who can help out when a problem arises.

---