Thyssen Bornemisza Gallery

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Tue Jun 18 22:29:21 PDT 2002

Bernard:

I will return to the Thyssen in July. It's a wonderful museum and one that
would be better known if it were not for the Prado. As you may already know,
Jaume Huguet's work is there as well ("Profeta David"). You have good taste.

One small point; "Misa de Peregrinos" was painted in the 15th century.

I suppose for many pilgrims the traditional Madrid icon of their walk is
Velasquez's self portrait in "Las Meninas" where he proudly displays the
Knighthood cross of Santiago on his chest. Now that you have brought it to
our attention I think the Huguet painting is more truly representative of
pilgrimage. Can't believe I missed it the last time I was there.

Gene Silva
ejsilvaaswbell.net